The SA Federation for Mental Health is a registered national, not for profit, non-governmental organisation (000-238 NPO) that aims to co-ordinate, monitor and promote services for persons with Intellectual Disability (Mental Handicap), Psychiatric Disability (Mental Illness) as well as promoting mental health and well-being.
We are the umbrella body for 17 mental health societies and numerous member organisations throughout the country. Each of these societies is registered as a separate NPO, has its own board of management and employs its own staff.
They are accountable to the Federation so far as the standard of service delivery is concerned. However, they are not financially accountable to the Federation’s Board of Management.
We work actively with the community to achieve the highest possible level of mental health for all, by:
- Enabling people to participate in identifying community mental health needs and responding appropriately;
- Developing equal, caring services for people having difficulty coping with everyday life, and those with intellectual and/or psychiatric disability;
- Creating public awareness of mental health issues;
- Striving for the recognition and protection of the rights of individuals with intellectual and/or psychiatric disability.
- Communicating and collaborating with international, national, provincial, governmental and non-governmental structures on policy matters relating to all aspects of mental health and disability;
- Promoting the mental health of all people;
- Assisting individuals and groups in the community to form self-help and support groups;
- Preparing and disseminating educational material concerning mental well-being, intellectual disabilities and psychiatric disabilities;
- Promoting and conducting research into the causes, incidence and treatment of intellectual and psychiatric disabilities;
- Encouraging improved standards of training in the fields of mental health, intellectual disability and psychiatric disability;
- Generating funds from the community and the state to support and sustain our work.