The National Association of Social Workers – South Africa is a voluntary organization which supports the professional development of Social Workers, Social Auxiliary Workers and Social Work and Social Auxiliary Work Students in South Africa.
The Association draws its membership throughout the country from Social Work Practitioners, Educators and Managers within the Social Work sector who are self-employed, or work in Non Profit Organizations or Government Departments.
There are currently at least 1000 signed up members. The has developed an aggressive membership recruitment strategy.
NASW-SA is affiliated to the International Federation for Social Work. Our affiliation affords us the opportunity to participate meaningfully in the Global Agenda for Social Work and Social Development and provide a national report to the South African Government in 2012. NASW—SA will also participate in the celebrations of the United Nations Social Work Days.
- Service: Social Workers are committed to helping people in need and addressing social problems.
- Social Justice: Social Workers address social injustices of all forms.
- Relationships: Social Workers recognize the central importance of relationships in human well-being.
- Integrity: Social Workers value and protect the trust they earn with clients and communities.
- Competence: Social Workers practice within their abilities and work to enhance their professional expertise.