The African Association of Psychiatrists and Allied Professions is a group of psychiatrists and mental health professionals affiliated with the World Psychiatric Association.
1. To remain independent of national and regional bodies, while encouraging their programmes and activities.
2. Membership to be by invitation of suitable professionals in the relevant field.
1. To promote positive interaction among African mental health workers.
2. To identify areas of most urgent need.
3. To identify areas of inter- and intra-regional collaboration, research and training.
4. To encourage the use of scientific evidence in clinical practice of psychiatry in the region.
5. To promote training and educational opportunities with a view to establishing professional and ethical standards of practice.
6. To encourage regional programs for fighting stigma.
7. To act as a continental lobby group for mental health at the national, regional and international levels, including World Psychiatric Association, World Health Organization and other United Nations agencies.
1. Membership shall be at the discretion of the Executive Committee
2. Membership of the Association shall consist of the following:
2.1 FULL MEMBERS
Any person who is a Psychiatrist registered with the regulatory authority in his/her country. Full members shall be required to pay membership fees and shall have voting powers.
2.2 ASSOCIATE MEMBERS
Any person who is a Mental Health Worker registered with the regulatory authority in his/her country is eligible for associate membership. Associate Members shall be required to pay membership fees and shall have voting powers.
2.3 HONORARY MEMBERS
Honorary membership of the Association may be conferred on a person at a General Assembly on the recommendation of the Executive Committee. Honorary members shall not be required to pay membership fees and shall have voting powers.
2.4 LIFE MEMBERS
Life membership may be granted on application to the Association to a Full Member over the age of 60 years and who has been a member of good standing for at least 15 years. For the first 10 years of existence of the Association, exceptions can be made to this rule at the discretion of the Executive Committee. Life members shall not be required to pay membership fees but shall have voting powers.
2.5 INTERNATIONAL FULL MEMBERS
Psychiatrists residing outside of Africa and registered with an appropriate professional body may apply for International Full Membership. International Associate Members shall be required to pay membership fees and shall have voting powers.
3. Applications for Full, Associate and Life membership shall be submitted, on a specified application form to the Secretary of the Association and shall be accompanied by:
3.1 Personal and professional details as set out in the application form; and
3.2 Membership fees in respect of the year in which the application is made.
3.3 Every member of the Association shall remain a member until his or her membership is terminated by:
3.3.1 Resignation in writing addressed to the Secretary of the Association;
3.3.2 By a decision of the Executive Committee; or
3.3.3 Failure to pay the prescribed membership fees before the due date.
4. Reinstatement may be granted on application to and approval by the Executive Committee after the payment of dues.
5. The Secretary shall keep and maintain a register of all members of the Association.