University of Benghazi (Arabic: جامعة بنغازي), formerly known as the Garyounis University, is a public university in Benghazi, Libya.
It is the oldest and first Libyan university. It was founded on 15 December 1955 as the Libyan University. The nucleus of the university was the College of Arts and Education, which had an enrollment of 31 students. Since then, the College of Science was established in Tripoli, the College of Economics in Benghazi in 1957, the College of Law in Benghazi in 1962 and the College of Agriculture in Tripoli in 1966.
In 1967 the College of Higher Technical Studies and the Higher Teacher's College were incorporated into the university. The names were changed to the College of Engineering and the College of Education. Moreover, the College of Medicine was established in 1970 in the city of Benghazi. In 1972, the College of Petroleum and Minerals was established in Tripoli.
In 1973 the University of Libya was split into two independent universities. The colleges (faculties) in Tripoli joined the University of Al Fateh (now University of Tripoli) while those in Benghazi joined Garyounis University.
In 2011 after the Libyan civil war the name of the university was changed back to University of Benghazi. Subsequently, the following faculties were established at Garyounis University: The College of Science, the College of Engineering and the College of Dentistry were established in 1974, the College of Agriculture in 1976, and the College of Information Technology in 2006.
Initially Benghazi University occupied temporary buildings in town. James Cubitt and Partners Architects signed a contract in June 1965 for the development of the University of Libya at the campuses in Tripoli and Benghazi. The first two contracts consisted of extensions to the existing College of Advanced Technology which was to be the nucleus of the new university.